Thursday, April 24, 2008

I love a rainy night (day)



Prologue

Are you the laughing-in-the-rain type of person, or the crying-in-the-rain type? Or neither perhaps. To the uniniatiated, both are wonderful songs from the past.

I read a blog last night about the kind of weather that has been hitting KL the past month - he was basically lamenting about the gloomy days and how it affects him. Every afternoon we would have dark clouds hanging over KL and within minutes it would be pouring cats and dogs. Many dreaded it especially if it rains just prior to the peak hour as traffic jams would be the order of the day.

The view from my table - the dark clouds starting to hover over KL from the right.

For me, with no traffic jam to battle, I love the rains - anytime of the day in fact. I love to hear the sound of the rain hitting on the roof - unfortunately we don't have corrugated zink roof anymore; I love the sound of the wind carrying the rain. I love watching dark cloud gathering and hovering over KL. I love it when suddenly KLCC and KL Tower suddenly disappear in front of my very eyes - we have no need for David Copperfield to make them disappear.

(And yes, I am fully aware of the potential perils of the dark clouds and the rains, much like the stories the Qur'an, but that would be another blog.)

I love the cool wind saturated with water. I love sitting at my verandah watching the rains dripping into the pond. Switch on the underwater spotlight and you would see diamonds whenever the raindrops hit the surface of the pond. Now I can understand the true meaning of Sudir's song. Lovely.

I especially love a rainy night. The sound of the rain outside my bedroom is so soothing that I would not remember all my problems I had during the day. About the only time I could oversleep (that by my definition is past 6 am) is when it rains in the wee hours of the morning.

Make you really feel good to pull the blanket over and continue sleeping, eh? Or to the incurable romantics, cuddling perhaps?

I especially love the air after the rain. It is so refreshing like no other time. I guess that freshly charged negative ions in the air have that invigorating effect on me.

Do you remember the scene from Antara Dua Darjat at Anggerek Villa where it was pouring hard? It is eerie. Or the scene where PRamlee and friends had to push Saadiah's car in the pouring rain? Aah, so romantic! Who would not remember the scene where PRamlee's was singing Tunggu Sekejap while it was raining outside.

Well, as a tribute to the rain - the gift of life from heaven, if I may put it this way, which we are getting a lot at this moment, here is a collection of songs about rains. Give me a gloomy day anytime. It makes my heart glow with the anticipation of the rain!

I love a rainy night - Eddie Rabbit



I love a rainy night
such a beautiful sight
I love to hear the thunder
Watch the lightning
When it lights up the sky
You know it makes me feel good
Well I love a rainy night
It's such a beautiful sight
I love to feel the rain
On my face
To taste the rain on my lips
In the moonlight shadow

Crying in the rain - Everly Brothers

Raindrops falling from heaven
Could never take away my misery
Since we’re not together
I pray for stormy weather
To hide these tears
I hope you’ll never see

Laughter in the rain - Neil Sadaka
Strolling along country roads with my baby
It starts to rain, it begins to pour
Without an umbrella we're soaked to the skin
I feel a shiver run up my spine
I feel the warmth of her hand in mine

One of the most beautiful Malay song about the rain

Hujan - Sudirman





Hujan yang turun bagaikan mutiara
Berkilau bersinar berkerdipan
Subur menghijau bumi terbentang
Dan bayu berpuput lembut
Cinta yang bersemi di waktu hujan turun
Menyirami ketandusan hati
Dan hujan turut mengiringi
Engkau pergi
Selembut hujan bercurahan
Begitulah cinta ini
Semesra bumi yang disirami
Begitulah hati ini
Hujan yang turun bersama airmata
Bersama pedih bersama rindu
Kau datang dan kau pergi jua
Rindu lagi

How about this song by PRamlee? Timeless.

Tunggu Sekejap - PRamlee (Sarjan Hassan)
Tunggu sekejap, wahai kasih
Kerana hujan masih renyai
Tunggu sekejap
Dalam pelukan asmara ku
Jangan bimbang
Walaupun siang akan menjelma
Malam ini Belum puas ku bercumbu dengan dinda
Tunggu sekejap wahai kasih
Tunggulah sampai hujan teduh
Mari ku dendang
Jangan mengenang orang jauh
Jangan pulang, jangan tinggalkan daku seorang
Tunggu sekejap kasih tunggu



Hujan oh Hujan, lekas berhenti (Uji/Hail)
Hujan oh Hujan, usah turun lagi
Lama sudah ku nanti

Masihkah kau ingat (Kopratasa)
Masihkah kau ingat kita berlari-lari
Di kaki langit mencari pelangi
Lalu hujan turun kita basah bersama
Masihkah kau ingat Masihkah kau ingat

Or Who would not remember Jose Feliciano's Rain.

Rain - Jose Feliciano
Listen to the pouring rain
Listen to it pour,
And with every drop of rain
You know I love you more
Let it rain all night long,
Let my love for you go strong,
As long as we're together
Who cares about the weather?

You should watch this beautiful video.

2 comments:

  1. Yup, me too loves the rain, albeit cannot enjoy as much during my childhood time in taiping, whenever is rain will cycle home from the school..and mak will always quitely look at me..hmm, "pergi mandi terus" and a great meal of ikan sambal and kobis lemak...

    Nowadays wanted my children to feel the same, but the rain is acidic and not "really" clean :)

    Nevertheless, thanks for the P. Ramle's Hujan song...classic indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, of course she would say that and I guess us too nowadays! Then again, I am not sure what cause one to have fever 'lepas main hujang'.

    Then again, there should be one entry about the rain in Taiping. This one requires special treatment!

    ReplyDelete