Monday, March 9, 2009

Ultravox's Vienna

I remember the first time I was in a first world.

Being a bright-eyed boy (even if I said so myself - hahaha), hardly touching 18, I was mesmerized by Perth. The cool, crisp and pleasant air of February of 81 will be never be matched again. After all, February is a mid-summer month for the southern hemisphere, and that morning of February was anything but.

But I guess then was at the initial phase of the invasion of music video, and I was bowled over by Ultravox's Vienna. Back then I thought that this was the best music video that I had ever seen and 30 years later, I still think that that is still the best music video ever made.

The chilling winter ambience of Vienna is still etched in my mind, and of course Midge Ure's voice is clearly haunting!

Lovely.

Vienna - Ultravox

We walked in the cold air

Freezing breath on a window pane,

Lying and waitin.

The man in the dark in a picture frame,

So mystic and soulful

A voice reaching out in a piercing cry,

It stays with you until

The feeling has gone only you and I

It means nothing to me

This means nothing to me.

Oh Vienna

The music is weaving

Haunting notes, pizzicato strings,

The rhythm is calling.

Alone in the night as the daylight brings,

A cool empty silence

The warmth of your hand and a cold grey sky,

It fades to the distance

The image has gone only you and I

It means nothing to me

This means nothing to me

Oh, Vienna.

This means nothing to me

This means nothing to me

Oh, Vienna

No comments:

Post a Comment