Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Day the Music Died II

In our 25 millions citizens, why can't we find another Sudirman?

Well, that was not the exact question posed by Arif actually yesterday's afternoon, while this writer was pondering what to write as my tribute to be posted on the 16th anniversary of the day the "Music" died. He was asking in the context of Mozart, as he is a classical fan - why can't we, in the 6 billion population that we have today, find another Mozart?

I told him I don't know the answer (but I also told him that I don't mind him being another Mozart!); but instead posed him with another question: Why can't we have another Sudirman?

Actually I know the answer. To be honest, I don't want another Sudirman; and there can never be another. Another Sudirman, if ever there could be one, would never be able to replicate what I (or we) have gone through at that stage of our lives. Freudian, eh?

It was the best of times and I had the time of my life then.

Thank you sir, for you will always be in our hearts.

Moga Allah mencucuri rahmatNya keatas ruh Sudirman.

Alfatihah [..sambil mengesat airmata.]

Epilogue

I remember that day very well. Then Dayabumi was my office and waiting for my bus at Leboh Ampang on that Saturday afternoon, the Malay Mail broke the news of his death.

For the next three days and three nights, I remember reciting the yaasin for him. I felt the affinity with him in death - very strongly, I must admit; I thought I owe him as much. I had never met him, and he would not know of my existence, but I knew then that he meant a lot to me.

Just in case you missed my first installment of The Day the Music Died - this was the title that appeared in the The Star the day after (Feb 23, 1992) at this writer's suggestion as a tribute to the genius that was Sudirman.

This writer said this, quoted in the The Star the day after (23 Feb 1992), "This is the day the Music died."

No comments:

Post a Comment