Wednesday, May 13, 2009

13 May 1969

3 MAY 1969

Forty years may have passed, but I guess the pain left behind by the worst riot Malaysia had ever seen has never really been healed. The suspicion between the different races lingers on, and despite the saying that says time heals all wound, this is one wound that would not leave away that easily.

It is deeply entrenched in the Malaysian psyche.

As noted by a former boss, May 13 is the best thing that could have happened to us. Prior to that, we could not even produce our own kicap!

To me, May 13 will always remind me of bapak and his trip to Kuala Lumpur on that fateful day in the nation's history. Taking a ride with a Chinese cab driver, being stopped by a mob, and subsequently being confined in Sentul police station are something that will etched in my mind, even though the person experiencing it has long gone.

For us waiting in Kampung Sira Lenggong for any news of him is probably an experience you don't want anyone else to experience. How thankful we were when he returned home - what's more with toys for all of us, is something I would never forget.

Cikgu HIzam reminded me of this incident, when he was requested by Mak to try and find out about bapak's fate when I met up with him early this year. Communication was difficult then, he said.

To commemorate the 40th anniversary, here is what I wrote of about the 13th May 1969 from a personal perspective.

Read about bapak here.

No comments:

Post a Comment