Sunday, March 9, 2008

Election '08 - A finale

Let me reiterate one thing here - this is not a political blog and it will not be one. I am just recording election '08 as a personal reflection as the theme of the blog would allow it.

As a finale, I would like to record a couple of issues during this election.

The kids
and I had a big flag during our journey to and from Kuala Lumpur. To be honest, I am glad we did it. Along the way from Dungun to KL, we had over 38 cars giving us the wave, or the slight high beam or the honk. It is nothing compared to the thousand of cars that we had passed by, but significant enough to be mentioned.

These were typical scenes during the journey.

If we were to pass by cars with BN flags - and they are many I must say, I would not even bat an eye lid. I would simply ignore them. To me it is done in the spirit of the election - opposition or otherwise.

Until I had a chat with a relative upon returning from KL today - he is an UMNO party member and have business dealings with UMNO. Upon knowing I had a flag on my car, he asked me if my car has been fully paid. I said no and asked him why. "Be prepared that by Monday, you would be asked to pay back all your loans in total," he warned me. "How would they know? The SB would have recorded my car's number," he explained.

When I told him that mine is P***'s, he changed his statement a bit and said if my loan is with P**** Bank, may be I'll be ok, but C*** certainly would have revoked my loans.

I believe him. He has no reason to lie to me as a relative, and Muslim and a lawyer. More importantly he is on the other side of the divide, and a reasonably prominent one I would say.
And I had enjoyed our conversation the past week or so.

Well, if so, what can I say? This is a police state?

But
any bank for that matter would have difficulty finding a commercial reason to do that - I have been a good customer. But I guess in a police state, they need no commercial reason.

I would have to say that the trip back and forth was typically good natured. Until we reached MRR2, with the massive traffic jam. Fortunately the jam was on the opposite direction!

On another note, I would like to record too, that upon reaching the flyover above the "Makro" roundabout, a motorbike overtook us on the left and slowed down, while doing a zig-zag in front of our car in the middle lane of MRR2.
He has no business overtaking me on the left, so close to my car and then slowing down while doing a 'jig' right in front of a moving car. If he was to fell, I might not have enough time to stop and I might have run him down.

Out of the blue and for nothing, I must say. He was wearing a BN white t-shirt and had his face covered up. The first two digits of his number plates was also covered with - of all - a KeAdilan sticker.
Why is his plate covered with a KeAdilan sticker? Is he trying to be mischevious? Definitely this is a no no. But the fact he is wearing a BN tshirt but a KeAdilan sticker covering his number plate, and trying to provoke a car in the middle lane with a PAS flag, it is all too fishy.
Close up of his number plate. See the KeAdilan sticker conveniently covering his number plate?

As far as I am concerned, he was a provocateur extreme. I have heard of this type of person many times and this is my first encounter first hand - just because I was carrying the flag for an opposition party. I managed to overtake him, record him, and upon realizing that he was being captured on camera, he sped up and showed us the finger.
His face is all covered up. But he didn't cover the front plate. After he passed up by the second time (we managed to overtake him after he slowed down on the left lane), and upon realizing that he was being recorded, he showed us the finger (which unfortunately was not recorded by my damn slow Olympus! )

Enuff of the election - irrespective of who would win tonight. I have done my part. The rest I leave it to God.

EPILOGUE

The
lawyer relative of mine called last nite to inform me that he was only joking when he said that my number would have been recorded by SB when I flew the flag while driving around during election day. I will take that remark in good faith and at face value - that it was just a joke on his side.

4 comments:

  1. tu la....beli la dslr...sekarang rm 2k dah dapat sebijik dslr...sure dapat capture mamat tu tgh bg middle finger tu...heheheheheh...
    by the way, u can check that bike registration number with jpj.. and find out whos name it is regitered with...or maybe no plate palsu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear anon, I will consider buying a new dslr, but the election is another four years away! ;-)

    I have thought about that, but I am not too sure what I am going to do with such info...unless of course it is a plate palsu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know it was only a joke. I can't imagine the company who you make payments to being able to say what you can put on your car or not. That would be crazy!

    My blog is also not a political blog, but this election (I'm in the United States), I have just been so interested about what is going on, that I can't help writing about it.

    Best wishes!

    PS - I stumbled upon your blog through Henmen's blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tee,

    thanks for dropping by. In many ways I am glad it was just a joke; in many other ways I know this sort of things do happen in this country.

    I dont blame you for wanting to get into the action, and in any case, everbody would have an opinion on everything and I guess so do we.

    Rahman

    ReplyDelete