Sunday, March 23, 2008

Of Food Promotion, and Opposition States

Prologue

I
have seen blogs being neglected with no entries for weeks or months, and then suddenly the blogger reappeared with some excuses (of being busy, travelling etc).

In
my case the first week was to enable me to savour that rare moment of those bigwigs being humiliated (after seeing them day-in-day-out the past 4 years or more speaking with arrogance and condescending tone). Too many blogs to read to keep track of things so much so I have no time to write anything. I guess enough has been said without a need for me to put my thought on paper.

But I have no excuse for the subsequent weeks!

I hope my life is back to normal (may be not, but that's not too important).

Of Food Promotion & Vacant Position

I received an sms a couple of days ago from a friend (one Soraya Merican aka Aya; a former classmate blogger who is in my blog roll, but had not updated her blog since day one) informing me of the joyous occasion that she is now a restaurateur. Apparently she had taken over steamboat restaurant in Kelana Jaya.

It is called Smokehouse Steamboat and it is located at Dataran Glomac behind the Giant Mall.

I have not had the opportunity to go there yet and sample the dishes, but I would certainly try to be there and test it out.

I tried googling it - I got some steamboat smokehouse website in Colorado Spring. Much as I like the mountains in Colorado, it is a tad too far for me to go there for my steamboat need! ;-)

But I did find this entry. The entry was dated Jan 5, 2008 and it stated that the restaurant was only recently opened. Steamboat buffet at RM18.50? Sounds good to me. The gist of the review is that it is good value for money.

Smokehouse Steamboat
E-G-2 Dataran Glomac,
Jalan SS6/20A47301 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan

I have confirmed with her that the restaurant is hers and that she has taken over it from the owner listed in that blog.

Congratulations again, Aya; we'll be there soon. I will provide a report here once I have been there. For sure she would not be uodating her blog anytime soon. She used to be called a lady of leisure (after her retirement a few years back), but with the restaurant, I doubt she would have time for that anymore. We would have to strip her of her title.

Well if you are in the vicinity do try out the latest steamboat in the neighbourhood. She is someone who has taste and I am confident this will be a success.

One by one of my classmates is becoming entrepreneur. You know, when En Wahab Alwi came up with the idea of setting MRSM (based on that Bronx school in New York), he did face resistance in MARA since MARA was not set up to provide education to the poor, but to create a base of bumi entrepreneurs. I guess many of us have come full circle in that respect.

On another note, I am also looking for account clerk cum admin cum secretary. Everything lah, since it is a small company. The person should have a few years of experience handling company's account; and be able to chip on almost everything, so if you know anyone I can be contacted at 012-383 2180.

EPILOGUE

Last week, I had to travel to Arau Perlis for my rare teaching duty at one IPTA there. It was done over two days starting from Friday, and of course had to end by late Saturday afternoon.

It
was quite a feeling actually. We started at 9 am from the office in Bandar Tun Razak, crossed over KL downtown (all 'oppositions' territory, pass through Selangor (another opposition state), crossed over the length of Perak (again 'opposition' territory), Penang (of course in opposition hand), Kedah (hmm...another one) and then to Shahidan's territory (which I have to say the odd one out). Apparently when we were there, Perlis was also changing hand!

I
do wish that the new state goverments were daring enough to have given us free tol or at least discounted tol!

My apology if I misuse the word 'opposition'. They are no longer that, but you know what I mean!

2 comments:

  1. According to MARA, one of their research found that most of people shift their career to becoming an entrepreneur soon after getting a Master degree; btw the Ms Soraya restaurant is near to my office..need freelance advisor?

    Congrats fow new update..I guess it is a really a challenge to updates..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no disagreement to that finding to be honest. In fact while I was doing mine, the marketing lecturer, quite adamantly, told us that it would be useless for us to stay at our present job and not be in business once we completed our program. At that point in time, I was quite happy with my own employment and totally disagree with him. Didnt realize I would be following his wish, so to speak.

    Well, do update us if you drop by at Madam's restaurant. Share a thought with us on the food.

    As for the updates, it is beginning to be a chore. Previously, busy or otherwise, I would be doing the needful. But nowadays, it is taking a back seat!

    ReplyDelete