Saturday, June 6, 2009

What's New? - The beautiful songs of the bygone era


I used a line or two from the lyric of What's New, a song from the 80s that I have enjoyed in an earlier entry. This is one of the 3 albums that Linda Ronstadt recorded of the 30s-40s music genre (big band sound) and I must say these 3 albums (What's New, Lush Life, For Sentimental Reasons), all recorded with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra, are the reason I love songs from those era. I have all three 3 albums, but I must say overall I cherish "Lush Life" the most.

I came to know of this album while at Monash. In between studies at the Engineering Library, I love to browse the Humanity Library. It has rare book collection section and then it has music! And this was one of the album being featured that month circa 85. So you sit on the sofa with your headphone on and listen to her music while cuci mata as it was a better place for 'cuci mata' compared to the Engineering Library (boring!) - well, not really as most of the time I would just closed my eyes and dreamt my (student) life away!

Lush Life inner cover. This album contains Skylark (1941), When I fall in love (1952), I am a fool to want you (1979) and When your lover has gone (1931) - these songs are the showcase of a par excellence album, released in 1984. Except for one, most of the songs were written long before my time. If I were stranded on a deserted island alone, this is one album I would want to have with me. ohh oh no listrik ke? Never mind, just while your time away looking at the cover as the (inner) cover itself is beautiful to look at!

So coming home in 86, I bought a vinyl for RM23.90 and I used to listen to them at night after coming back from my shift at Perak Hanjoong in the mid-80s. After a tiring shift, all the aches would go away listening to her soothing voice and the fine orchestra. Aaah, heavenly.....

Linda Ronstadt and the late Nelson Riddle. This is taken from the cover of the last album she did with Nelson Riddle before he died (before completing the whole album). "(I love you) For Sentimental Reason" was added to complete the album and the song was chosen as a fitting tribute to the genius of Nelson Riddle.

Individually, I love What's New, which is a beautiful song written in 1939. I would not have known it if not for a remake by her (recorded in the mid-80s), post her country and rock era of course. She sung it so beautifully, and in the full splendour of an orchestra, it was perfection as far as I am concerned - her voice is so smooth and silky that I just melt everytime I hear this song. It helps that the Nelson Riddle Orchestra is a first class orchestra too (and the fact that the late Nelson Riddle was a top notch jazz arranger).

The video clip also features Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in the B&W classic Casablanca, so it is always nostalgic to see the clip.


This is a live version. Beyond her bangs, I have no complaint of this version. She is still as good as ever (SNurhaliza is no competition), but eventhough the music is not perfect unlike in the record, I still found this song enjoyable. I do miss, however, the b&w Casablanca clip to accompany this song with!

(Listen after 11 pm - after everybody else has gone to sleep, sit on your fav sofa, put on your headphone, turn up the volume and close your eyes. Let the song fills you and takes you away - slowly, you will drift away.)

What's new
How is the world treating you?
You haven't changed a bit,
Handsome as ever i must admit.

What's new
How did that romance come through?
We haven't met since then,
Gee but it's nice to see you again!

What's new
Probably i'm boring you,
But seeing you is grand,
And you were sweet to offer your hand.
I understand.

Adieu!
Pardon my asking what's new,
Of course, you couldn't know,
I haven't changed,
I still love you so!

Adieu!
Pardon my asking what's new,
Of course, you couldn't know,
I haven't changed,
I still love you so!

Epilogue

Akmal is asking for a copy of this song for his own collection. Apparently after listening to the song a couple of times, he now likes it. He referred to it as lagu 1930. I am really spoiling them with the oldies. Then again, may be not. The (classical) stuff they listen to are more ancient than mine!

Tags: what'snew, lindaronstadt | Edit Tags

Wednesday June 20, 2007 - 03:33pm (SGT) Edit | Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment